Frequently Asked Questions on the Web Hosting
- How does Web Hosting work? Once you purchase a Web hosting plan, Global4odmains stores your site on one of our servers and assigns it a unique DNS. The DNS serves as the address that allows people around the world to find and view your website. This unique address is required in order for people to view your site.
By purchasing a website hosting package, you're basically buying space on one of our servers. It’s similar to the space on a computer’s hard drive, but the server allows your website’s files to be accessed from anywhere.
- What is a Virtual Private Server?
Occupying the space between the shared and dedicated hosting formats, a Virtual Private Server (VPS) offers many of the capabilities and features of dedicated servers, including administrator (root) access and dedicated IP addresses, but at a much lower price. Users share a server, but because each VPS is effectively isolated from other accounts, the user has full control over the server space.
Also, VPS plans feature very high performance and available disk space and bandwidth.
We partition our servers in such a way that each Virtual Private Server (VPS) operates almost entirely independently of the other accounts that share the server space. This means that with a VPS, you will enjoy consistent, high performance, even when usage peaks on the main server.
Virtual Private Server's are particularly useful for companies and individuals that run higher-traffic websites or complex applications and thus need the bandwidth, consistent performance, and flexibility of a VPS.
- What can I install on my Virtual Private Server?
You may install any software over the top of the server's kernel. This includes updating software like Apache and GCC.
However, you may not install anything that modifies or upgrades the kernel on your server—this includes operating systems.
- What is a Dedicated Server?
Unlike normal hosting plans, which put many customers' accounts on a single server, a Dedicated Server is reserved exclusively for the account and usage of a single customer. This means that the Dedicated Server customer has exclusive rights to their server's bandwidth, memory, and storage space, and performance is not affected by traffic and the usage patterns of other customers.
When you purchase a Dedicated Server, you are actually leasing a server box that is configured and set up according to your preferences, but remains at our data center. A Dedicated Server account provides you with a dedicated IP address and full control of server usage and software installation, with admin (root) access to the server.
You can use a Dedicated Server for a wide variety of purposes, including gaming servers, database management, and traffic-intensive websites. Dedicated Servers are particularly useful for companies and individuals who run very-high-traffic websites or applications and who need the bandwidth, versatility, and consistent performance of a dedicated box.
- What can I install on my dedicated server? You may install anything you want on your dedicated server, as long as the installed material does not violate the restrictions listed in the license agreement.
- Installing an SSL Certificate on Your Dedicated Server? To obtain an SSL certificate for a website hosted on your dedicated server, you must first generate and submit a certificate signing request (CSR) to your Certification Authority (CA).
Once the CA has received the CSR, it will process the certificate request and, if the authentication process is successful, issue a signed certificate for your website. The CA will provide you with CSR-generation and certificate-installation instructions.
- How do I pick a hosting plan? When picking a website hosting plan, you need to have an idea of what you want to do with your website, plus factor in a bit of room for growth. Is your website large or are you hosting a large number of images and/or videos? If so, you need a package with a larger disk space allocation. Do you expect to receive high volumes of traffic to your website? If so, you need a package that gives you more bandwidth. Do you need CGI, PHP, and MYSQL functionalities? If so, select the plan that includes these features.
- Can I host multiple websites? Yes, you can host multiple websites, but you will need to setup a separate website hosting plan for each website.
- How do I renew my account? Your hosting account will be renewed automatically on a monthly basis, or you can log in to your MyAccount area to submit a renewal. For all accounts other than monthly billing you will be sent reminder emails. If you have any questions about your renewal, please contact us.
- Can I use PHP on my website? Yes! You can use PHP on your website.
- Can I upgrade my account if I need to? Yes. You can upgrade your account at anytime. You will pay the difference between your current account and your new account. There are no extra fees involved in upgrading. You can upgrade your account by logging into your control panel.
- How long does it take to set up a new account? New accounts are guaranteed to be set up within 24 hours from the time we receive your order. Once an account is set up an activation notice will be sent to you via e-mail including your account information. You can begin uploading files to your new website immediately. You will be given a temporary web address to access the site prior to the completion of either domain registration or domain transfer so you can start working with your account right away.
- Can you host domain names other than .com .net .org .biz .info and .us? WestHost can host any domain name. However, we only offer a limited assortment of domains that can be registered or transferred to us. For a list of these domains please visit our "order form".
- How is billing handled? Depending on the plan, you have your choice of quarterly, annually, 2-year, or 3-year billing. By default your hosting fees will automatically be deducted from your credit card each billing interval. If you do not want your credit card automatically charged each billing interval, you can choose to be billed manually. Please note there is a $3.00 processing fee added to each invoice for manual billing.
- Do we discount for Non-Profit Organizations? Global4domains will waive the set-up fee for a Non-Profit Organization for Shared Hosting and Dedicated Server orders. WestHost does not waive or discount the monthly hosting fee. We will need to get a copy of your 501(c)(3) Non-Profit status confirmation letter from the IRS. You can fax us a copy of the form or you can e-mail a scanned version of the form to our Accounts Department. When you fill out your order form please indicate in the "notes" section of the order that you have sent us the 501(c)(3) Non-Profit form via fax or email.
Why Global4domains Servers ?
Admin access : Install and run virtually anything on the server.
Manage multiple Web sites : Host multiple Web sites on one server account.
Versatility : A dedicated server/virtual private server can be used for a wide variety of purposes, including gaming, virtual (i.e., shared) hosting, and hosting of traffic-intensive Web sites.